atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel treatments (both psychedelic and non-psychedelic) for mental health disorders so that everyone, everywhere can live a more fulfilled life. We are developing psychedelic and non-psychedelic compounds and cutting-edge digital therapeutic tools. We are excited about anything that might mean a true leap forward for patients. We have offices in Berlin, London, New York, Boston and San Diego (and our office culture is important to us).
What is the purpose of the role?
We are searching for a collaborative, intuitive, seasoned Executive Assistant whose primary responsibility will be to provide comprehensive support to the CSO including substantial interactions with the internal leadership team, and various external investors and stakeholders. This dynamic position requires the ability to anticipate needs, a high degree of tact and discretion, a highly professional and corporate presence, self-confidence, flexibility, and adaptability. The ability to effectively work in a fast-paced changing environment is critical to success in the position.
In this position you’ll be part of an energizing and supportive startup team culture, engaged in continuous learning, and part of an exceptional international team. This role is based at our site in Del Mar Heights (San Diego), CA.
What you will achieve:
- Within your first month, you will have built strong relationships across the R&D team and developed a comprehensive understanding of the CSOs responsibilities throughout the company and across subsidiary boards, while Providing sophisticated calendar management for the CSO.
- By the end of your first month, you will be working closely with the Investor Relations and Communications team to streamline processes for CSOs involvement in global conferences, stakeholder engagement, and media opportunities.
- By the end of your second month, you will be anticipating the CSO’s needs in advance of meetings, conferences, etc., working to keep CSO well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities. You will actively develop a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keep the CSO updated.
- After 3 months you will be confidently handling and resolving complex administrative tasks in support of wholly owned and partially owned subsidiary companies. You will have demonstrated a trusted ability to make the right calls taking human, legal and compliance factors into account. You will serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the CSO, including those of a highly confidential or critical nature and you will be able to prioritize and determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response, exercising judgement to reflect CSO’s style and organization policy.
Who will be successful in this role:
Those who succeed at atai will be strongly aligned with our values:
- Conscious Care: We take every action in service of our ultimate goal: to heal mental health disorders for all while caring for ourselves and our team.
- Bold Entrepreneurship: We are “loosely coupled but tightly aligned” as we strive for excellence over perfection, fast and focused to accelerate innovation for patients.
- Collaborative Innovation: individuals and teams work together with good humor and no drama, valuing different perspectives and diversity of thought, background, nationality, and style.
- Radical Responsibility: We take full responsibility for our circumstances. We grow and learn from failures, always looking to improve.
To succeed in this specific role, the following will also be important:
- Highly empathetic and good at building relationships: Quickly establishes good working relationships across teams and time zones. Understands the need to build relationships (internal and external) before she needs them.
- Eliminating gossip: Addresses conflicts directly and immediately. No tolerance for office politics. Builds a culture of transparency.
- Effective communication: Listens first, letting others speak. Persuasive, clear and succinct written and verbal communication.
- Ownership: Follow-through on verbal and written commitments. From time to time when needed proactively takes on additional responsibility not part of her/his defined accountability.
- Growth mindset: we believe we can get better – individually and as a team – through feedback and hard work.
- ‘Player Coach’ mentality: throws themselves into work as part of the team, leading by example. Always has detailed knowledge of what is going on across the organization and willing to dive in to make improvements and to help others do the same.
Qualifications / experience that we'd like to see:
- 5+ years’ experience as an Executive Assistant or similar role
- Experience in (Bio-) Tech, Research & Development, and/or Digital Therapeutics
- Highly resourceful and able to handle complex and competing schedules
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to handle a high volume of work with a sense of urgency without letting quality slip
- High sense of empathy with an outstanding ability to work multi-culturally