The HR Business Partner & Employee Relations role will be part of the international People and Culture Team. You will work directly with VP of People Team on everything from performance management to succession planning to DE&I and lead the HR Operations function.
The People and Culture Chapter builds atai into an effective, scalable public company by attracting, growing and retaining the best talent in the market. We run the operational People stuff flawlessly, all while building a high-performing company culture and offering a competitive total rewards package.
Who we are:
atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel treatments for mental health disorders so that everyone, everywhere, can live a more fulfilled life. To achieve this, we are developing psychedelic and non-psychedelic compounds and cutting-edge digital therapeutic tools, and we are excited about anything that might mean a true leap forward for our patients. We operate a hybrid virtual/in-person working model, with most of the team spending 2-3 days in the office, and our hubs are located in Berlin, London, New York City, Boston and San Diego.
What we offer:
- Compensation package inclusive of yearly bonus and generous stock options
- Annual company offsite in U.S or Europe
- Hub visits to our offices in Berlin, Boston, London, New York City and San Diego
- Hybrid work model with 2-3 days in office, and home office budget
- Mental health wellness program, including 10 company-paid therapy sessions a year
- Sports Club membership (Class Pass)
- 100% paid medical insurance and 401(k) program
- As this position is based in the United States, the base salary is expected to be $135,000 — $180,000 depending on specific location, skills and experience.
What you will achieve:
- Within your first month, you will have built strong relationships across the People Team, Legal, Talent Acquisition and Finance departments.
- By the end of your first month, you will be working closely with VPs and Directors in your assigned areas on performance management, management training and coaching, organizational development, and employee relations.
- By the end of your first month, you will be proactively suggesting new initiatives and ideas to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- By the end of your first month, you will be working on the implementation and harmonization of global and local people policies and procedures as well as global initiatives and providing guidance and best practice advice in the US.
- After 3 months, you will have developed a good understanding of the talent landscape within teams and begin to work with your VPs on development and succession planning for their teams.
- After 3 months, you will be confidently handling and resolving complex employee relations issues with minimal oversight from the VP People. You will have a demonstrated and trusted ability to make the right calls taking human, legal and compliance factors into account.
- By the end of your first 6 months, you will have established an HR function within 1 – 2 of the atai subsidiary companies, working with the Company Leads to mirror the atai HR offering for our platform.
The specifics of your day-to-day will include:
- Supervise the entire HR operations at atai and work hand in hand with People Ops Associate on employee onboarding and offboarding processes
- Implement and execute company policies and procedures
- Oversee HR databases and internal HRIS software
- Analyze and monitor HR performance metrics and company-wide engagement surveys
- Work with the Benefits manager to maintain and update our employee benefits program
- Alongside the VP of People, develop and drive forward a People strategy across the company
- Manage employee probation review, succession, and promotions processes
- Proactively create new systems and programs to improve ways of working
Qualifications / experience that we'd like to see:
- Bachelor's Degree and / or professional HR qualification
- 8+ years HR Generalist or proven work experience in HR Operations
- Ability to take initiative and ownership, solving problems and driving efficiencies across all areas of HR
- Demonstrated tenacity and willingness to go the extra mile to get something done
- Ability to leverage own capabilities and successfully organize the support from internal and external stakeholders to accomplish a task or project
- Sound understanding of employment and labor laws
- Experience in managing more junior and/or specialist team members
Who will be successful in this role:
Those who succeed at atai will be strongly aligned with our values:
- ❤️ Conscious Care: We take every action in service of our ultimate goal: to heal mental health disorders for all while caring for ourselves and our team.
- 🦸 Bold Entrepreneurship: We are “loosely coupled but tightly aligned” as we strive for excellence over perfection, fast and focused to accelerate innovation for patients.
- 🧑🤝🧑 Collaborative Innovation: individuals and teams work together with good humor and no drama, valuing different perspectives and diversity of thought, background, nationality, and style.
- ✋ Radical Responsibility: We take full responsibility for our circumstances. We grow and learn from failures, always looking to improve.