Role / Position Overview:
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to join our preclinical stage biotech company as the VP of Translational Development. This individual will provide leadership, research and development acumen, and strategic guidance for our small molecule drug development efforts towards developing novel anti-inflammatories, with a focus on dermatology. The VP of Translational Development will work closely with the CEO and CSO, be responsible for directing our translational drug development efforts involving coordinating in-house research alongside CROs with regard to in vitro cell-based models, in vivo whole animal models, and IND-enabling studies. This role requires exceptional organizational, analytical, and communication skills, expertise in drug development within the framework of the pathophysiology of inflammation and inflammatory disease, and a strong understanding of and passion for the biotech industry.
We are a preclinical stage biotech platform company advancing new small molecule approaches for the treatment of inflammatory diseases through modulation of specific serotonin receptors. Although our near-term focus is dermatology, our long term goals include developing novel therapeutics for several inflammatory related diseases throughout the body. Our company’s foundational science is based upon key discoveries made over the years by co-founders Dr. Charles D. Nichols and Dr. David E. Nichols on the pharmacology, chemistry, and biology of serotonin 5-HT2A receptors. Particularly, the discovery that certain agonists of this receptor have profound and potent anti-inflammatory effects across several human disease models.
We recently finalized an oversubscribed seed round by leading generalist, biotech, and psychedelic VCs that provides significant funding to our efforts to advance our proprietary technology that consists of several NCEs and IP as described in recent multiple initial patent filings. We have also established an in-house research facility with drug discovery and development capabilities.
- Work closely with leaders across the company to plan and execute R&D strategy, evaluate new target opportunities, and initiate additional pipeline programs. Implement knowledge/expertise within the team to successfully execute technical and logistical/strategic activities. Examples may include:
- Evaluate and select in vitro and in vivo models to accurately assess and predict drug efficacy and dosing for dermatology indications
- Lead program into IND-enabling studies
- Serve as a team leader across multiple programs
- Communicate (both in writing and verbally) project status, issues, schedule and accomplishments to various management and stakeholder groups in an effective manner, as needed
- Critically evaluates project data while rigorously driving data-driven Go/No-go decisions, including the identification of resource constraints and bottlenecks
- Engage with external partners such as academic collaborators, CROs, and consultants
- Identify opportunities to improve operational efficiency and processes as they relate to drug discovery and development
- Manage a portfolio of targets related to immunomodulation, oversee strategic execution of drug discovery research and preclinical activities to enable robust, timely and compliant IND submissions with clear development paths
- Help diligence and evaluate in-/out-licensing opportunities
- Provide support to 2A Bioscience’s intellectual property strategy and patent portfolio
- Lead, manage, develop, and retain a high-performance team focused on developing a new class of therapeutics. Provide development opportunities and mentoring to the team
- Be a “Jack of All Trades”, wearing multiple hats. Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, discovery, and cutting-edge research culture focused on scientific excellence, open communication, and continual improvement
- PhD with relevant preclinical experience in immunology, pharmacology, biochemistry, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in a drug discovery setting (early-mid stage biotech preferred), with emphasis on small molecule drug discovery and development in the field of inflammatory disease
- Knowledge of GPCR pharmacology and signaling is preferred
- Broad experience with evaluation and selection of both in vitro and in vivo models that can accurately assess and predict PK/PD, drug efficacy and dosing, ADME, tox, etc. for dermatology indications
- Working knowledge and participation in CMC-related activities
- Experience leading programs and advancing drugs against novel targets to IND stage in diverse molecular target classes and therapeutic areas, particularly in inflammation and dermatology
- Knowledge of preclinical and clinical disease outcome predictive biomarkers for dermatology, and/or other inflammatory disease indications
- Understanding of the current competitive and regulatory landscape for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases
- Willingness for travel (every 4-6 weeks)
2A Bioscience’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background in the fields of science. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status. Underrepresented individuals are encouraged to apply.