The American Psychedelic Practitioners Association (“APPA” or “the Association”) was established in
2021 as a professional association for practitioners in the psychedelic field. We are currently hiring for the role of Executive Director (ED) to implement APPA’s vision and mandate to safely integrate
psychedelic-assisted therapy into the US healthcare system.
With FDA approvals imminent for psychedelic therapies, this is an important moment in time for both the mental health and psychedelic fields. To lead APPA now is a once in a lifetime career and legacy opportunity. APPA ED will have a significant voice in the safe and accessible introduction of
Psychedelic Assisted Therapy into the US healthcare system. Under the ED’s leadership, APPA will
build a self-sustaining institution that is focused on and truly delivers on membership value.
The Executive Director will lead and inspire the organization in identifying priorities and objectives,
directing staff, supporting committees, and ensuring the APPA’s financial and organizational viability. The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the APPA Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to teamwork, personal accountability for results, adherence to ethical practices, a focus on collaboration, diversity and equity, and comfort operating in a start-up environment with an ability to prioritize and drive actions to closure.
- Cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation, and delivers better business results.
- Actively participate in the development of and assume ultimate responsibility for the implementation of the overall strategic direction of the APPA in accordance with the vision, mission, values, strategic direction and goals set by the Board of Directors
- Design Association policies that reinforce collaboration, diversity in the workplace, addresses harassment and protects minority groups including women
- Review polices on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of APPA activities, on issues and concerns internal to the Association, and on trends and emerging issues in the field
- Foster effective collaboration between the staff and Board, as well as foster teamwork among staff and volunteers
- Act as a spokesperson for APPA
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of APPA as appropriate
Finance, Financial and Risk Planning & Management
- Help lead funding activities
- Ensure appropriate financial management of the organization’s budget
- Ensure appropriate and timely reporting to the Board and funding bodies
- Work with CFO and the Board to prepare, manage and execute a comprehensive annual budget
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Work with COO to ensure that APPA’s files and records are appropriately safeguarded and
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the Association (e.g. impact to members / clients, staff, management and volunteers) with respect to property, finances, goodwill and image
- Implement measures to mitigate and control risk
- Listen closely to members, develop a communication strategy that connects with members, and advocate for policy initiatives across the behavioral health systems.
- Be an effective communicator and spokesperson to engage stakeholders via media and other direct channels
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure membership is supported, enhanced, and wide-reaching
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans, create funding proposals and implement fundraising activities.
- Explore and develop new revenue sources, such as providing additional services on a cost-recovery basis, in order to broaden the funding base of APPA
- Build an Association that truly delivers membership value
- Ensure that the association serves the needs and interests of its members
- Ensures that the programs, activities, and services of the association directly benefit the members and their professional well-being
- Provide strategic guidance and oversight on community engagement of membership
- Maintain and develop strong community connections and partnerships, and pursue continued innovation in communication with stakeholders
- Ensure APPA is represented at community activities to enhance the Association’s community profile and reputation
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, government agencies, educational institutions and others as required to help achieve the mission of the APPA
- Promote an enhanced profile for the organization and develop opportunities to market member services
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the Association using Board-
- approved policies and procedures
- Facilitate effective Board meetings by preparing office reports, compiling meeting agendas, proposing topics for discussion/review, determining and initiating follow-up actions.
- Support the work of working groups and Board committees
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the APPA contribute to the Association’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
Human Resources Management
- Build a high-performance team that is built around the APPA values of respect and care for one another.
- Train HR staff on how to select, manage, evaluate and retain diverse employees
- Oversight for researching, developing, implementing and maintaining a range of successful practices for supporting a climate that values and prioritizes collaboration, equity, diversity and inclusiveness.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance and help develop APPA’s operating team
- Maintain a positive, healthy and safe work environment
- Plan for future staffing requirements and determine the experience, skills and personnel qualities needed to effectively deliver programs and services
- Consult with the Board on an on-going basis and as needed regarding human resources plans and staffing activities
In addition to fulfilling the responsibilities of this role, A successful candidate will meet the following
- A mental health practitioner that is well respected amongst the practitioner community.
- A minimum ten years of leadership and business management experience (bonus would be association leadership).
- Experience and skills in managing board relations.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Possess excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deep and valued relationships with existing healthcare associations (AMA, APA, APA, etc.), licensing boards, the VA and government agencies at the federal and state level.
- Awareness and understanding of the psychedelic field, community, and profession.
- Work from home - position can be anywhere in the US and able to manage time in a work-
- from-home environment at 40 hours per week.
- Proficient in the use of computers, video technology and personal technology (including
- Microsoft programs, Google (gmail, drive), Dropbox, smart phones, printers etc.).
- Able to work weekends and evenings is critical.
- Willing to travel for Board meetings and other official APPA functions.
- Clear a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check, cleared with no criminal activity.
APPA is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit:
- your resume
- a cover letter expressing your specific interest in and qualifications for the role
- references (name, email and phone number) from:
- 2 direct supervisors from previous employers
- 1 peer or colleague
- 1 direct report, if you have management experience
Please submit this information to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.